TLS & office 365

• hello all,

Our email provider, British Telecom, have just switched email setup from themselves to office 365 :cursing: . I've configured the new pop3 settings so I'm now downloading emails again but I have an issue with the sending of emails via smtp.

The old settings ( which at present still work, but for how long ? ) in postman was a simple "Provider Mailhost : mail.btconnect.com" "port: 25". no authentication required....

The new settings need to be :

server name: smtp.outlook.com
    port: 587
    encryption method: TLS or SSL if no TLS.

I've ceated a TLS selfmade certificate using TLSCERT.EXE and saved it to DAVID\APPS\POSTMAN\CODE\TXCERT.PEM told it to use tls 'if possible' and ticked 'authentication required' ( using grabbing server account) but the monitor reports :
    (00000792) read (40/0)
    (00000792) Got complete TCP Message (Size=40)
    (1) 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated
    (1) SMTP Server: Wrong Sender Name!
    (1) RSET
    (00000792) SSLRead failed: Got=0
    (00000792) Got complete TCP Message (Size=0)
    (1) SMTP Server: Reset Error!
    (1) Mail Transmission aborted

© Tobit Software

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ripthorn () aus folgendem Grund: I've been reading about TLS's :p

• I've spoken again to BT and now have a problem that can only be resolved if I use the new SMTP settings. So how do i set-up postman to use the following setting :

SMTP setting
    Server name: smtp.outlook.com
    Port: 587
    Encryption method: TLS

?( it's the encryption method that's confusing me ..... I can't see how I set that ? ?(

Many thanks

• Hello R,
    you don't need a certificate on your side for TLS/SSL with smtp. The certificate must be in place at BT. But they'll place one for smtp.outlook.com which does not match your mail domain, or does it?
    What you need is an account that you can use to authenticate against the BT smtp server. This account has to be configured in your David smtp configuration (aka Postman). Maybe this will solve the problem. Maybe not, cause you could get "relaying denied" errors from the BT smtp server. Give it a try and provide some feedback.

CU
    fx.trix

• confused now 8|

In postman, under the advanced tab, under "Use of TSL (SSL)" I've set 'Use TLS for transmission' to "if possible" and if i press F1 on that setting at the bottom of the popup help window is says:

If TLS is to be used for transmission, you will need a corresponding certificate allowing for communication via TLS connections. This certificate serves for unequivocal identification and contains the code keys used for transmission of messages. In the DAVID\UTIL\WINDOWS\TLSCERT directory on the David server, you will find the TLSCERT.EXE program to create or apply for such a certificate. In the help texts of this program (F1 key), you will find information about how to use the certificate under PostMan.

And that's what i've ran and setup ...... so the help files says you DO need a TLS certificate. Has anyone successfully set this up, even if not on office 365 ? :S

• Hi,

the original idea of Tobit is, to use the David server directly and not with a foreward host from a provider. If so, the David server would have to supply the certificate to clients trying to connect to it.

In your scenario you have a provider server (BT) in front of your server, which is hosting your domain and which has to show the certificate to connecting clients. Your server is also like a client in this scenario. Compare the situation to a browser on your desktop you are using to visit an https URL. Do you need a certificate in your browser? No. The server that is delivering the https content needs the certificat. Same here with your communication construct.

As you'll recognize very often in the help files of David there is usually only the Tobit-way described but not what all (or most) of us practise. And very often you can not use the David help or even the Knowledgebase as step by step tutorial, cause they don't explain relevant preconditions.

Reading your posts could give me the idea, that you are not familar with this kind of administration. E.g the attempt to simply put a "subdomain" like xxx.company.com in place without doing all the other necessary things to get something like this working. Don't mind, but maybe you should ask a professional near your location to assist you.

What they describe there in that help message is "How to create a selfsigned SSL certificate" .. to be used instead of an official one. You could use that kind of stuff for testing or private purpose, e.g. if you'ld like to setup the David web server to use https. But truly not for a live Maildomain. Again: you do not neet a certificate on the David server to let it communicate via SSL/TLS with the server of the provider.

CU

• Swiss.com did the same. Cause of spam reasons - they said - they closed port 25.

I was lucky, I could persuade them to open up port 25 for me.

I guess BT won´t go that far.

• Again: you do not neet a certificate on the David server to let it communicate via SSL/TLS with the server of the provider.

o.k. you've convinced me :P :D ;)

So how do I get Tobit to work with TLS then ? I guess it's through the authentication settings..... I think I must be just missing the right combination ?(

I guess BT won´t go that far.

Your right ! especially as BT have moved it to Microsoft ..... luckily port 25 on BT is still open .... not sure for how long .... must a good while yet as everyone they have swaps over to the new system.

• Was ich lese ich mochte es wirklich. Vielen Dank für Ihre Informationen!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!