TLS emails & Tobit

• Hello all,

Happy new year !!  :thumbup:

I started this query last year but I've managed to move it on slightly now. It's regarding using TLS with Tobit.

British Telecom has forced all it's users to "upgrade" to the new system via outlook which has to use TLS. I managed to get grabbing server to work with the new settings but I couldn't quite get Postman to be as happy, but at a friendly BT guy told me November time last year "there is no plans to stop the old 'mail.btconnect.com' settings" so i left it at that, which was fine until they stopped the old mail.btconnect.com working this week !  :cursing:

I spoke to BT support, they got a remote connection to my pc and wrote down in notepad as he spoke why we have to upgrade and what is compatible ( i'll post it at the bottom if you like ), so not really very helpful....

Any way I managed to get Postman working with TLS, but in a very limited way..... I can only send an email from one address !

In the postman settings -> provider tab -> (I've got the settings as listed below), authentication ticked -> parameters button -> SMTP (AUTH=LOGIN) and the email address and password for our main email. Now this works, as long as everyone picks the same senders name when sending an email. :pinch: 

If I change the the Parameters button to 'Use Grabbing Server Account' then all email fails to go. I know that the Grabbing Server POP3 accounts are correct (username & password) because they are collecting the emails successfully, and I've ticked the POP3 accounts -> options tab -> "Use also for SMTP authentication" option. So as far as i can see it should all work but it doesn't. The postman log results as :

(00000664) read (40/0)
    (00000664) Got complete TCP Message (Size=40)
    (1) 530 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated
    (1) SMTP Server: Wrong Sender Name!
    (1) RSET

So, is it;

• A bug within David

• Something / a setting I've missed

• A BT fault ( don't think it's that !)

Any help to get me working and not looking to swap to *gasp*  :S Exchange  8|  :thumbdown: will be really really gratefully appreciated !!  :thumbup:

Thanks

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BT "help"

Pre Migration = 1980's email (lets add things as we develop them)

POP3 insecure
    server: pop3.btconnect.com
    port: 110
    ssl: none
    user: <username> or <username>@btconnect.com

SMTP insecure
    server: smtp.btconnect.com or mail.btconnect.com
    port: 25
    ssl: none
    smtp authentication: not required when on an internal IP (bt business broadband)
    - means anyone or any software could send using plain text

-------
    Post Migration (2006< ratification globally = industry complient standard)

POP secure
    server: pop.outlook.com
    port: 995
    ssl: required
    user: <full email address>

SMTP secure
    server: smtp.outlook.com
    port: 587
    ssl: required (TLS is the client has a slection of types)
    smtp authentication: required
    smtp user: <full email address> - need to be validated against an actual pop inbox = sender must exist as an inbox
    smtp pass: <same as incoming>

---------
    If email client is not industry complent
    - you will need to use another SMTP server
    - you can run your own software that accepts insecure connections internally and transmits to industry complient servers securely
    - if you run your own server, it does not go thru your ISP server as it sends directly to the remote end

----
    Exchange 2003/ SBS2003/SBS2008- non complient -- SBS2008r2 (is complient)
    When using a smart host> it only uses a single user id to send on behalf of everyone
    johndoe@example.com >>> looks like samsmith@example.com is trying to sign for it

----
    If running your own server you need to build a rep for you IP = Reverse DNS
    F DNS: bob.example.com 123.123.123.123
    rDNS: 123.123.123.123 123-123-123-123.sw.routing.youisp.com (dhasdhas.btopenworld.com)
    rDNS 123.123.123.123 bob.example.com
    100% reputaion

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ripthorn (18. Januar 2013 um 16:31)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!