Tobit & TLS emails

• Guten Tag,

I posted a very long email problem, but got no replies, so I think i'll shorten it...

We have been forced to use TLS when sending emails. I've got it working but only if we all send from one email address.

In the postman -> provider -> authentication required settings i can put "Method: SMTP (AUTH=LOGIN)" and type in an email address and the password, and it will send ( as long as we all pick that same email address when sending). If i change Method to 'Use grabbing server account', the emails aren't accepted during transit. In the grabbing server accounts I've ticked 'Use also for SMTP Authentication', and they all work when collect the emails so the usernames & passwords must be correct.

(just out of interest the grabbing server accounts are created manually under the POP3 accounts. I've created one directly from the users, but then i can't see an option to tick for SMTP authentication).

I know this must work as all the options are there to make TLS work, but i can't see what i'm doing wrong. If I can't fix it we may have to abandon Tobit altogether  :wacko: 

Thanks for reading

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ripthorn (2. März 2013 um 12:17)

• You´re wrong.

Using TLS or beeing forced to use TLS does not cover your description.

SMTP-Auth is necessary to deliver the mails to your smart-host with (provider) a given authentification , as there are: method plain/login(smtpauth) or pop4smpt aka smptafterpop.
    If is not possible to use one user/pass pair for ALL sender-email-adresses,(postman, authentification) you should consider a change of your provider.

TLS is used for full encryption of the conversation between david´s postman an the smart-host (MTA).
    Have look at Dv-Admin, Postman, the 4th tab (extended), check TLS use on sending, hit f1 for online help, creating and using a selfsigned certificate, restart postman.

As I remember the rfcs about smtp , mail servers may use TLS before auth dialog, but they are allowed to do vice versa.

hope this helps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!